I forgot I had posted this last year, but I stumbled across the post while clearing out some spam comments. So I decided I'd post another facts column. I did quite well in fantasy sports this year, but will be the first to remind people: it's all a crapshoot.
Apparently I was in a bit of a confident mood at this time last year. I’m sort of pigeonholed into that format now, but I guess I don’t mind it.
I present these facts; if they are interpreted as bragging, so be it:
- In the eight years I've competed in fantasy football (all the same league), I've been in five championships and won four.
- The Commish is the only one who has ever beaten me in the finals (hat tip, Taylor).
- Incidentally, I’ll be taking over for the Big Guy next year as commissioner of the league. He’ll do a pick ‘em league with the crew, but life’s demands have grabbed him by the wrist and politely tugged him from our fantasy community.
- I'm the only person who has defended a title.
- When I won in 2010, my team name was Wet Socks.
- Fantasy sports are a crapshoot.
- I finished in last place in 2009.
- Which means I also pulled off a (possibly unprecedented?) worst-to-first-to-first progression.
- I’m the first to three-peat in this or any league I’ve been a part of or heard of.
- (This from last year’s post: “I'll be back with the same group of guys next year, but don't talk about a three-peat yet. I'm just focused on winning next year's draft. (Read: take it one day at a time, etc.”)
- Seems like I was saying all the right things.
- I was nearly ready to stop watching NFL football in 2005 when my middle school friends approached me with the idea of starting the league. I was dead set against joining, but with some arm twisting and as a favor to a great group of friends I reluctantly obliged.
- Two-hundred sixty points is by far and away the most points ever scored in this league. There is a small contingent in what we call the 200-point club. I believe I’m the only repeat jacket-wearer, and this was easily the most “clutch” points explosion in league history.
- Posted by my opponent following the final whistle: “Fact: setting an ideal lineup with all other players in the league (both owned and [free agents]) against Derek's would have won you the game by 3 points.”
- Here is my draft (points-per-reception league). Round (overall selection)
Andy Dalton and CJ Spiller, at first blush, were my best value picks.